RingmerRingmer is a large village just over the South Downs from the East Sussex county town of Lewes and a couple of miles east of the River Ouse.
The village is based round its village green, but Ringmer is almost the size of a small town nowadays, with over five thousand residents.
Places of interest around RingmerInteresting places in and around Ringmer include:
- Ringmer Church was rebuilt in 1884 after fire burned down much of the previous church - there had been towers fall down or burn down by 1682 and again by 1800. The Church of St Mary the Virgin still contains plenty of 13th century and 16th century work however;
- The Ringmer cricket team memorial remembers the lives and deaths of the 28 members of the village cricket club who died in the first world war - truly shocking.
- The ruins of Ringmer Windill, which gave up the ghost in 1925. All that is left to see today is the mill post.
- Plashett Park Wood is an SSSI wwhich supports breeding birds and contains rare plants such as spiked rampion;
- Glyndebourne Opera House which is two miles south of Ringmer;
- Cliffe Hill, where there are extensive prehistoric barrows, overlooks Ringmer.
Other Ringmer informationFollowers of Gilbert White, the Albourne nature writer, might remember that Timothy the Tortoise, whose habits White tracked, lived in Ringmer - he was the property of White's aunt. The village sign shows a representation of the tortoise and Timothy has become something of a Ringmer mascot.
The parish of Ringmer contains the hamlets of Ashton Green, Broyle Side, Upper Wellingham and Little Norlington.
Famous past residents of Ringmer have included Gideon Mantell, the Lewes doctor widely thought of as the father of paleontology and John Harvard, founder of the famous US university that bears his name.
Ringmer travel notesRingmer is three miles north of Lewes next to the A26 main road.
The nearest railway stations to Ringmer are Lewes and Cooksbridge.
© East Sussex.org 2008-10.
Tuesday May 18